Usage: Andre is a very popular first name. It is more often used as a boy (male) name.
People having the name Andre are in general originating from Canada, France, Germany, Portugal, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 6.
The name Andre is ranked on the 389th position of the most used names. It means that this name is very frequently used.
We estimate that there are at least 1667800 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.023% of the population.
The name Andre has five characters. It means that it is relatively medium-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Andre for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
History and Origin
Andre or André is the French and Portuguese form of the name Andrew, and is now also used in the English-speaking world. Andrew is the English form of the Greek name Andreas, a short form of any of various compound names derived from andr- ‘man, warrior’. The name is popular in Norway and Sweden.
Notable people with this first name include:
- Andre Agassi, American tennis player
- Andre Anis, Estonian football (soccer) player
- Andre Carter, American professional football player
- Andre Dawson, American major league baseball player
- André-Marie Ampère, French physicist
- André Breton, French writer and theorist
- André Chénier, French poet
- André Citroën, French inventor and engineer
- André Frédéric Cournand, French physician and physiologist
- André Derain, French painter
- André Gide, French writer
- André Grétry, French composer
- Andre Iguodala, American basketball player
- André Le Nôtre, French architect
- André Michel Lwoff, French biologist
- André Malraux, French writer
- André Maurois, French writer
- André Masséna, French military commander in French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars
- Andre Miller, American basketball player
- André Previn, German-American musician
- André Rieu, Dutch violinist, orchestra conductor
- André the Giant (André Roussimoff), French professional wrestler and actor
Portuguese form of Andrew.
The section "History and Origin" of this page contains content from the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Andre (given name)"; that content is used under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL.
We always try to deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment bellow. Thank you!