Usage: Constance, of Latin origin, is a popular first name. It is more often used as a girl (female) name.
People having the name Constance are in general originating from Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
For another variant of the name Constance across the world, see Constantia.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 4.
The name Constance is ranked on the 1,965th position of the most used names. It means that this name is commonly used.
We estimate that there are at least 212100 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.003% of the population.
The name Constance has nine characters. It means that it is relatively long-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Constance for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
History and Origin
Constance is a female given name that derives from Latin and means “constant.” Variations of the name include Connie, Constancia, Constanze, Constanza, Stanzy, and Konstanze.
Notable people with the name include:
- Constance Bennett (1904–1965), American actress
- Constance Briscoe (born 1957), British barrister
- Constance Calenda (1415), Italian surgeon
- Constance Marie Charpentier (1767–1849), French painter
- Constance Collier (1878–1955), British-born American actress
- Constance Coltman (1889–1969), British pastor
- Constance Cox (1912–1998), British writer
- Constance Cummings (1910–2005), American-born British actress
- Constance Demby, American musician
- Constance Dowling (1920–1969), American actress
- Constance, Duchess of Brittany (1161–1201)
- Constance of France, Princess of Antioch (1078-1126)
- Constance Ford (1923–1993), American actress
- Constance Garnett (1861–1946), English translator
- Constance Glube (born 1931), Canadian judge
- Constance Gordon-Cumming (1837–1924), British travel writer and painter
- Constance Grewe (born 1946), German judge
- Constance Hamilton (1862–1945), Canadian politician
- Constance Horner (born 1942), American public official and businesswoman
- Constance Cary Harrison (1843–1920), American writer
- Constance Hopkins (1607–1677), English colonist and Mayflower passenger
- Constance A. Howard (born 1942), American politician
- Constance Hunting (1925–2006), American poet
- Constance N. Johnson (born 1952), American politician
- Constance Kamii, Swiss-born American educator
- Constance Keene (1921–2005), American pianist
- Constance Stuart Larrabee (1914–2000), South African photographer and war correspondent
- Constance Lloyd (1858–1898), Oscar Wilde’s wife
- Constance Marie (born 1965), American actress
- Constance Markievicz (1868–1927), Irish politician
- Constance Menard (born 1968), French equestrienne
- Constance Moore (1920–2005), American actress
- Constance Naden (1858–1889), English poet
- Constance Reid (1918–2010), American author
- Constance Senghor (born 1963), Senegalese high jumper
- Constance of Sicily (1154–1198), Queen of Sicily
- Constance Lindsay Skinner (1877–1939), Canadian writer
- Constance Spry (1886–1960), British florist and author
- Constance Stone (1856–1902), Australian doctor
- Constance Talmadge (1897–1973), American actress
- Constance Tipper (1894–1995), British metallurgist
- Constance Towers (born 1933), American singer and actress
- Constance Fenimore Woolson (1840–1894), American novelist
- Constance Zimmer (born 1970), American actress
English and French: medieval form of the Late Latin name Constantia, which is either a feminine form of Constantius, a derivative of Constans (see Constant), or an abstract noun meaning ‘constancy’. This was a popular name among the Normans, and was borne by, amongst others, the formidable Constance of Sicily (1158–98), wife of the Emperor Henry VI.
Pet form: English: Connie.
The section "History and Origin" of this page contains content from the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Constance (name)"; that content is used under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL.
We always try to deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment bellow. Thank you!