Usage: Kwame, of African origin, is a popular first name. It is more often used as a boy (male) name.
People having the name Kwame are in general originating from United Kingdom, United States of America.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 8.
The name Kwame is ranked on the 4,111th position of the most used names. It means that this name is commonly used.
We estimate that there are at least 79200 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.002% of the population.
The name Kwame has five characters. It means that it is relatively medium-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Kwame for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
History and Origin
Kwame or Kwamé is a Twi and Akan day name given to a boy born on a Saturday, originating in Ghana. People with this name include:
- Osei Kwame Panyin, an 18th-century leader of the Ashanti Confederacy, located in what is today southern and central Ghana
- Anthony Appiah, a Ghanaian-British philosopher of semantics and racism
- Kwame Brown, an basketball player in the NBA
- Kwamé Holland, an American rapper who enjoyed brief popularity during the golden age of hip hop; reemerged as a music producer named K1 Million
- Kwame Kilpatrick, former mayor of Detroit, Michigan
- Kwame Nkrumah, a Ghanaian politician and for a time Life President (originally Francis Nwia Kofi Ngonloma) and one of the most influential founders of Pan-Africanism
- Kwame Raoul, a Democratic member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 13th district since 2004
- Kwame Somburu, an American socialist political activist
- Kwame Tucker, a Bermudan cricketers
- Kwame Ture, the name adopted by Stokely Carmichael, a Trinidadian-American black activist and leader of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and the Black Panther Party to honor Kwame Nkrumah and Ahmed Sékou Touré
- Kwame (Captain Planet), a character in the television series Captain Planet and the Planeteers
The section "History and Origin" of this page contains content from the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Kwame"; that content is used under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL.
We always try to deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment bellow. Thank you!