Usage: Linnea is a popular first name. It is more often used as a girl (female) name.
People having the name Linnea are in general originating from Denmark.
For another variant of the name Linnea across the world, see Linnéa.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 1.
The name Linnea is ranked on the 4,549th position of the most used names. It means that this name is commonly used.
We estimate that there are at least 69200 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.001% of the population.
The name Linnea has six characters. It means that it is relatively medium-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Linnea for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
History and Origin
Linnéa or Linnea is a female given name of Swedish origin.
It has two derivations, both of which are linked to the famous 18th-century Swedish scientist Carl Linnaeus, who was ennobled as Carl von Linné later in life. Primarily, people have named their children in his honor; Linnaeus and Linné have been used as given names, usually for boys, and simple modification makes the name gender female. Secondarily, people have named their children after the twinflower Linnaea; which was itself named to honor Linnaeus. Linnaeus’ family name in turn is derived from the Swedish word “Lind”, the linden (lime tree).
Linnéa or Linnea was the seventh most popular given name for girls born in Sweden in 2008 and was the most popular name for girls born in 2008 in Norway. In 2013, it ranked 17 in Sweden and 7 in Norway.
Some notable people with the name:
- Linnea Dale, born 1991, Norwegian singer
- Linnéa Darell, born 1945, Swedish politician
- Linnea Gustafsson, born 1986, Swedish orienteering competitor
- Linnea Henriksson, born 1986, Swedish singer and songwriter
- Linnéa Handberg Lund, born 1980, Danish eurodance musician
- Linnéa Hillberg, 1892-1977, Swedish actress
- Linnea Johnson, born 1946, American poet and feminist writer
- Linnea Mellgren, born 1989, Swedish figure skater
- Linnea Quigley, born 1958, American actress
- Linnea Sinclair, born 1954, American Science Fiction Romance author
- Linnea Torstenson, born 1983, Swedish handball player
Swedish: a popular given name first bestowed in honour of the Swedish botanist Carl von Linné (1707–70; Latinized as Linnaeus). He gave his name to the now internationally recognized Linnaean system of taxonomic classification, and to a type of flower known as Linnaea. The female given name was first used in the mid-19th century in the form Linnaea, and is now sometimes spelled Linnea (without the accent).
Short form: Nea.
We always try the deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment bellow. Thank you!