Usage: Glenn, of Scottish-Gaelic origin, is a very popular first name. It is more often used as a boy (male) name.
People having the name Glenn are in general originating from Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America.
Meaning: Valley in the mountains, Narrow valley
Please feel free to read what others say about this name and to share your comments if you have more information.
N.B. Sometimes it happens that another name has the same meaning. There is nothing surprising in this: both names have the same origin or the same numbers of numerology.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 7.
Qualities: Philosophical, Spiritual
Ruling planet: Neptune
The name Glenn is ranked on the 431st position of the most used names. It means that this name is very frequently used.
We estimate that there are at least 1525900 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.021% of the population. The name Glenn has five characters. It means that it is relatively medium-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Glenn for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
We do not have a name day for Glenn.
History and Origin
Glenn is a surname derived from the Irish/Scottish Gaelic word gleann. In the 19th century, Glenn also became common as a given name in English speaking cultures.
In Sweden, Glenn is relatively common first name in the western parts of the country but especially Gothenburg, originally due to a large and influential population of emigrated Scotsmen, especially in the city's early centuries. The name was very prevalent in the local football team IFK Göteborg which in the early 1980s had no fewer than four players named Glenn, including Glenn Hysén and Glenn Strömberg. This inspired supporters of opposing teams to use a chant called "Alla heter Glenn i Göteborg" (Everyone's called Glenn in Gothenburg). However, this chant is now primarily used by fans of IFK Göteborg themselves.
Glenn may refer to:
- In music
- Glenn Danzig (born 1955), American rock musician
- Glenn Frey (born 1948), American rock musician known for his work with The Eagles
- Glen Hansard (born 1970), Irish singer/songwriter
- Glenn Gould (1932–1982), Canadian pianist
- Glenn Hughes (born 1952), English rock musician
- Glenn Hughes (Village People) (1950–2001), musician known for his work with The Village People
- Glenn Miller (1904–1944), American jazz musician
- Glenn Robinson (musician) (born 1985), American rock musician
- Glenn Tilbrook (born 1957), British musician
- Glenn Tipton (born 1947), English rock musician
- Glenn Yarbrough (born 1930), American folk singer
- The Extra Glenns, American musical duo in the 1990s
- In other fields
- Glenn Beck (born 1935), Canadian actor
- Glenn Beck (born 1964), American talk-radio and television host
- Glenn Close (born 1947), American actress
- Glenn Corbett (1930–1993), American actor
- Glenn Flear (born 1959), British chess player
- Glenn Ford (1916–2006), American actor
- Glenn Greenwald (born 1967), American author and blogger
- Glenn Hoddle (born 1957), English footballer
- Glenn Hysén (born 1959), Swedish football player
- Glenn Jacobs, pro wrestler
- Glenn Johnson (born 1984), English footballer
- Glenn L. Martin (born 1886), aviation pioneer
- Glenn Lazarus (born 1965), Australian rugby league footballer
- Glenn Loovens (born 1983), Dutch football player
- Glenn McGrath (born 1970), Australian cricketer
- Glenn Quinn (1970–2002), Irish actor
- Glenn Rubenstein (born 1976), American journalist
- Glenn Ross (born 1971), British strongman/powerlifter
- Glenn T. Seaborg (1912–1999), American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- Glenn Sears, retired American race car driver
- Glenn Stewart (born 1984), Australian Rugby League player
- Glenn Strange (1899–1973), American actor
- Glenn Strömberg (born 1960), Swedish football player
- Glenn Turner (born 1947), New Zealand cricketer
- Glenn Whelan (born 1984), Irish footballer
- Glenn Withrow (born 1953), American actor
- Glenn Young (born 1929), American football (NFL) player
- Glenn (A.k.A. Frog), from the video game Chrono Trigger
- Glenn, from the video game Chrono Cross
- Glenn Martin, a fictional character in Nickelodeon's TV series Glenn Martin, DDS
- Glenn Quagmire, from the animated American television sitcom Family Guy
- Glenn, a fictional character in the comic The Walking Dead and the television series of the same name.
The section "History and Origin" of this page contains content from the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Glenn (name)"; that content is used under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL.
We always try to deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment below. Thank you!