Usage: Tony, of Latin origin, is a very popular first name. It is more often used as a boy (male) name.
People having the name Tony are in general originating from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Malta, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
For another variant of the name Tony across the world, see Anthony.
Meaning: Worthy of praise, Thriving
Please feel free to read what others say about this name and to share your comments if you have more information.
N.B. Sometimes it happens that another name has the same meaning. There is nothing surprising in this: both names have the same origin or the same numbers of numerology.
The Growth number corresponding to this first name is 2.
Qualities: Diplomatic, Sensitive
Ruling planet: Moon
Colors: Green, Cream
Gemstones: Pearl, Jade, Moonstone
The name Tony is ranked on the 62nd position of the most used names. It means that this name is very frequently used.
We estimate that there are at least 6293000 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.087% of the population. The name Tony has four characters. It means that it is relatively short-length, compared to the other names in our database.
The graph below represents the number of people who were given the name Tony for each year since 1900 in the U.S.A.:
The name day of Tony is 17 January.
History and Origin
Tony is a short form of Anthony or Antonio. It may refer to:
- Anthony (given name), includes a list of people with this name
- Kawasaki Ki-61, a Japanese WWII-era fighter aircraft, code-named "Tony"
- Tony, Wisconsin, a village in the United States
People known by the single name, Tony:
- Tony Leung Chiu-Wai (born 1962), Hong Kong actor
- Tony Compagno (1921-1971), American football player
- Tony Corbin (born 1974), American football player
- Tony Cristiani, American football player
- Antonio Rodríguez Dovale (born 1990), Spanish footballer known as Toni
- Tony Gaffney (born 1984), American basketballer
- Tony Hargain (born 1967), American football player
- Tony Haynes (born 1960), American lyricist, songwriter, author
- Tony Leung Ka-Fai (born 1958), Hong Kong actor
- Luca Toni (born 1977), Italian World Cup winning footballer
- Anthony Nwakaeme (born 1989), Nigerian footballer
- António Conceição da Silva Oliveira (born 1961), Portuguese football coach
- António José Conceição Oliveira (born 1946), Portuguese international footballer and coach
- Tony da Costa Pinho (born 1983), Brazilian footballer
- Anthony da Silva (born 1980), French-born Portuguese footballer
- Antoni Lima Solá (born 1970), Andorran footballer
- Tony Satini (born 1993), Australian Rugby League player
- Tony Swatton, British-American blacksmith
- Tony Sylva (born 1975), Senegalese goalkeeper
- Tony T., singer, rapper and DJ
- Tony Taka, also referred to as just Tony, Japanese illustrator, video game artist and character designer
- Tony Thurman, American football player
- Tony Williams (rugby league) (born 1988), Australian Rugby League player
- Tony Award, for Broadway Theatre
- Tony (1982 film), a 1982 Kannada film
- Tony (2009 film), a 2009 British drama film directed by Gerard Johnson
- Tony (2013 film), an upcoming Indian film
- "Tony" (Skins series 1), an episode of British dramedy Skins
- Tony (album), a 1957 album by Tony Bennett
- Tony the Tiger, cartoon mascot for Kellogg's Frosted Flakes
- "T.O.N.Y.", a song by Solange Knowles
English: short form of Anthony, now sometimes used as an independent name in the English-speaking world.
The section "History and Origin" of this page contains content from the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Tony"; that content is used under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the GFDL.
We always try to deliver a high-quality service to our customers. If you consider the information on this page is incomplete or incorrect, please post a comment below. Thank you!